Pulmonology / Pneumology
It is a chronic disease that affects the lungs causing them to lose flexibility (fibrosis) and to deteriorate over time. The main problem is lack of oxygen in the lungs, causing coughing and respiratory failure.
The treatment consists of slowing down the progress of the disease. It may include oxygen for lung rehabilitation and improvement of respiratory capacity.
What are the symptoms?
It is a disease that results in scarring of the lungs. These scars make the lung tissue stiff and thickened.
The exact causes of the disease are unknown. But pollution, some medications and other lung diseases are likely to cause this problem.
The most common symptoms are:
- Dry cough
- Breathing difficulty
- Aching muscles and joints
What is the treatment?
After carrying out the corresponding diagnostic tests (spirometry, lung volumes, arterial blood gas analysis, stress test, lung tissue biopsy, fiberoptic broschoscopy), our specialists will give you the specific plan of action for your case.
The treatment plan includes pharmacological and alternative treatments. It may include surgical treatment.
Pharmacological treatment is divided into two approaches, depending on the type of lung disease.
Immunosuppressive Therapy – based on corticosteroids mycophenolate, azathioprine, cyclophosphamide, rituximab, infliximab or tacrolimus.
Antifibrotic Therapy – based on pirfenidone and nintedanib.
Alternative treatments include pulmonary rehabilitation and oxygen therapy.
Surgical treatment includes lung transplant.
What is the result of the treatment?
Unfortunately, Cystic Fibrosis is a chronic disease and has no cure. But if you follow the indications given by our specialists, you can improve the quality of your life.
What recovery time do I need in Spain?
The length of your stay will depend on the gravity of the disease, ranging from a few weeks to three (3) or four (4) months (in the case of a lung transplant).
- Check that you have prepared all the personal documentation (credit card, cash, passport, Identity Card…), medical (reports, prescriptions, images…) and travel (confirmation of accommodation booking, travel tickets…)
- If you take medication of any kind not related to the surgery, do not forget to take with you the necessary amount for your stay in Spain, as well as the medical prescription that will allow you to travel with it without problems.
- When you come to Spain, be aware that you already have a treatment plan that will begin immediately upon your arrival at the clinic.
- Once you are in Spain, you will have to make an appointment with your specialist to review your medical record and treatment plan.
- During this visit, the doctor will open your medical record (for which you will be asked to provide all your medical documentation), perform a physical examination and tell you if any further tests are needed to confirm the treatment.
- When the treatment in Spain is finished, our professionals provide a series of guidelines to continue your therapy at home
- Remember that your recovery time will vary depending on your age, your physical condition, your lifestyle habits and your attitude!
- Keep in mind that your successful recovery also depends on you!
In Spain you will find surgery with the most advanced technology.
Find my treatment
Learn more about Spain
Get your free medical consultation
Your treatment planpersonalized in 24-48h.