Bariatric Surgery Unit
Gastric Sleeve Surgery consists in the removal of part of the stomach, which may be reduced by 75% to 80%. A narrow tube is constructed, creating a smaller stomach.
The goal of this procedure is to assist the patient in their weight loss journey by decreasing insulin resistance and reduce a person’s appetite, making them feel full with less food.
Who is this kind of treatment for?
This treatment is most appropriate for those patients with a BMI of 35-40 (morbid obesity) with type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea.
How is the treatment performed?
First, you must comply with a series of guidelines and meet certain requirements that the specialist will specify.
This surgery is also known as a vertical gastrectomy and consists of the drastic reduction of the stomach, limiting its anatomical capacity and the ability to absorb nutrients in the intestine.
This surgery is performed via laparoscopy (reducing the size of the incisions), under general anaesthesia and requires between 1 and 2 hours after which you will be taken to the ward and will remain there for between 2 and 4 days.
The surgery consists of removing most of the stomach, leaving a small part as a ” new stomach “. The useful part of the stomach is left in the form of a tube or sleeve similar to that of the intestine.
What is the result of the treatment?
Most patients who have undergone this surgery experience an almost total reduction in hip pain and a significant improvement in their quality of life as they are able to return to normal daily activities.
What recovery time do I need in Spain?
A loss of between 50 to 80 percent of excess bodyweight
- Weight loss
- Improved self-esteem
- Higher quality of life
- Reduction of respiratory issues
- Reaction to the anesthesia
- Check that you have prepared all the personal documentation (credit card, cash, passport, Identity Card…), medical (reports, prescriptions, images…) and travel (confirmation of accommodation booking, travel tickets…)
- If you take medication of any kind not related to the surgery, do not forget to take with you the necessary amount for your stay in Spain, as well as the medical prescription that will allow you to travel with it without problems.
- Once you are in Spain, you will have to make an appointment with your specialist. During this visit, the doctor will open your medical record (for which you will be asked to provide all your medical documentation), perform a physical examination and tell you if any further tests are needed to confirm the diagnosis.
- If it is not necessary and everything is confirmed, your doctor will tell you when you must go to the preoperative study and will confirm the time of admission for the day of your surgery.
- If the surgeon has told you to stop taking any medication a few days before the surgery, such as anticoagulants, please do not forget to follow the exact instructions given by the doctor or you will not be able to have the operation!
- The same goes for any fasting that the doctor indicates, if you do not comply – You will not be able to have the surgery either.
- After your discharge from the hospital you should avoid physical exertion for a few weeks and for two to three weeks you will only be able to consume liquids or soups. You must strictly follow the instructions of the medical team, as they will tell you when to begin adding other types of food.
- In addition, you should undergo a change in your lifestyle, in the interest of your health, which ranges from food re-education to regular physical exercise, you should maintain these new lifestyle changes for rest of your life (not only during the first two years after surgery, which is the period in which you lose weight).
- Remember that your recovery time will vary depending on your age, your physical condition, your lifestyle habits and your attitude!
- Keep in mind that your successful recovery also depends on you!
Receive treatment in one of the best healthcare systems in the world.
Get your free medical consultation
Your treatment planpersonalized in 24-48h.